Cervical Cancer Pap Smear and Sexually Transmitted Infection Training
(Part of CRET Certification)
April 2, 2018
12:45 pm - 4:00 pm
This is a half day classroom training for nurses who will be performing cancer screening services for women and/or male and female STI exams. The training will include review of STI and male exams and bi-manual exams on simulated pelvic models and review and documentation of abnormal findings. This session will meet one part of the classroom requirement for Comprehensive Reproductive Exam Certification and will complete the required classroom training for STI Certification in Local Health Departments in Kentucky.
As a prerequisite you must complete the following modules:
- CRET: Women’s Cancer : Course # 1026561
- CRET: Sexually Transmitted Infections: Course # 1026562
- CRET: Pathophysiology of Cancer: Course # 1026308
- CRET: Male and Female Exam: Course # 1028787
- CDC Self-Study STD Curriculum (7 modules) at the following link: www2a.cdc.gov/stdtraining/self-study.
When all CDC modules are completed, fax certificates of completion to the RTA at 859-623-5910.
3. Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV)
4. Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
5. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
12:45 pm Registration
1:05 pm View Videos
- Pap Collection video
- Amplified Chlamydia/GC collection guidelines
- Performing the Male Genital Exam
1:35 pm Male and Female Exam Reviews and demonstration on models Practice Session-Jane Anderson, APRN
2:45 pm Break
3:00 pm Practice Session (Continued)
3:30 pm Review of preceptorship requirements and preceptor checklists
Question and Answer
3:45 pm Evaluation
4:00 pm Course Ends
After completing this course the learner will be able to:
1. Demonstrate basic skills required for obtaining a cervical pap smear.
2. Demonstrate basic skills required for obtaining male and female STI specimens.
3. Choose appropriate documentation skills related to reproductive exam findings.
4. Demonstrate basic skills required for performing male and female reproductive exams.
Jane Anderson, APRN
Lucinda Carlson, APRN
Rhonda McGuire, RN
Nursing Continuing Education Information:
The Kentucky Department for Public Health is a KBN continuing education provider. This course has been approved for 3.2 nursing contact hours, KBN Provider #07-0038-12-2019-011
Disclaimer Statement: The Kentucky Board of Nursing approval of an individual continuing education provider does not constitute endorsement of program content.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING COURSE COMPLETION AND RECEIVING A CERTIFICATE
Step One: TO COMPLETE A COURSE:
The Dashboard section of the TRAIN Home page is where your course management will take place. The “My Learning” section contains recent, active course registrations. To see all registrations, click the “Current Courses” button.
Next to each course listing is an “M” button. This will allow you to “Manage” your individual course registrations. To manage a particular course, simply click the “M” button to the right of the Course Name. Mark your course as Completed: Click the “Completed” button to complete your course.
Step Two: TO LAUNCH AN EVALUATION, YOU HAVE A VARIETY OF ACCESS POINTS:
On the Course Details page, where you originally registered for the course, under the
Registration tab, there will be an evaluation button. If you click the “My Learning” link on the TRAIN Home page dashboard, you will see which recent course evaluations that need to be completed.
On the TRAIN Home page, if you have an evaluation pending, a red alert notice will appear within the “My Action Items” section of the TRAIN dashboard.
StepThree: TO VIEW OR PRINT A CERTIFICATE:
Login to your TRAIN account and access the “My Certificates” link on the TRAIN Home page. This will reveal a list of recent Certificates. Click the “Certificate print icon” to the right of the page. This open or download a PDF version of the Certificate.